Here you can find all the details regarding the challenge including guidelines, logistics, venue, faq’s etc. Be sure to check out the Akhada Homepage for general guidelines.
It is India’s first of its kind character animation Akhada challenge where Contestants will go through a creative and physical endurance test to claim the coveted ‘CG-Animator’ Title.
This is a tag-team Akhada – which means there will be team comprising of two animators. If for any reason you are unable to find a partner and are still interested you can apply as individual animator as well. Participants are required to arrange for their own tag-team partners. The Tag-Team of two animators will work together through the 36-hour duration. The tag-teams are also expected to have their own team-names – the most creative one receiving special mention during the prize ceremony.
Not only will you be recognized for your skills by some of the best in the Animation Industry, you will also be blissfully rewarded by the exciting prizes that await the Winners.
That aside, such events are great way to network and meet Industry Professionals and more importantly get noticed for your skill-sets at a platform where it matters the most – “a meaningful step in the right direction for growth” as an industry expert put it.
Simple. All Contestants will compete online to create the most compelling Animation in a controlled setting. The theme will be revealed prior to the start of the Challenge.
The Winners take home exciting prizes and will wear the CG-Visualizer Title till the next year’s challenge.
The Animator Akhada starts at 8 a.m. on 4th November and need to submit by 6.30 p.m. on 12th of Nov 2017.
AWESOME! That sounds like a lot of fun! How do I participate?
That’s super simple. Follow these three steps below.
Also, be sure to read the FAQ in this page below to be sure you understand everything clearly.
Rush to the Registration Form
Fill the Form(Select if you are a Student or Professional)
Wait in Excitement!
See! We told you it’s that simple!
What Character Rig will be used for the Challenge?
Native Puppets will be exclusively providing their flagship PK-Man Character Rig. The rig is built to industry standards and is very versatile in its features and has 7 avatars pre-loaded. You can use anyone of the avatars for the Competition. The Rig will be handed to you one night prior to the start of the competition, so you get used to the Rig.
- This is a tag-team Akhada – which means there will be 20 teams of two animators each. Participants are required to arrange for their own tag-team partners. The Tag-Team of two animators will work together through the 36-hour duration. The tag-teams are also expected to have their own team-names – the most creative one receiving special mention during the prize ceremony. (If for any reason you are unable to find a partner and are still interested, do let us know and we will find you one from our database of registrations.)
- Kindly read the Guidelines (hyperlink to Guidelines section) before filling the Form below.
- A panel of experts from the Animation Industry in India will judge the competition.
- Most important criteria for judging will be the quality, performance and appeal of animation. Strong emphasis will also be laid on the clarity in storytelling.
- The decision of the judges is final based on the criteria set out in the competition and no correspondence will be entered into over this decision.
- You will be purely judged based on your animation skills. Use all the extra time to polish your entry than spending time on ‘lighting’ your entry. The judging criteria will not favor an entry because it is well lit or technically well executed but will focus purely on its character animation and performance values.
- Strategic planning will be required by the teams to best utilize resources. This will also be one of the deciding factors in the judging process.
This section will regularly be updated with answers to more FAQ’s. The latest faq’s appear towards the bottom of this section.
- Animation Challenge? Great! I am up for it. How do I participate?
You need to Register for the competition and follow all the relevant guidelines, important dates mentioned on the site here.
- Is this Challenge open for Students / Professionals? What if I am part-time studying and part-time working?
The Challenge has two separate categories – Students and Professionals. Be sure to select the appropriate category while filling the Registration Form. If you are a part-time student and part-time working professional, you will qualify under the Student Category.Contestants must share a link to their work in the Registration Form to be selected for the Competition. Only the best of the best will be selected and pitted against each-other for the Challenge.
- What Software & Hardware do I need to use?
Regarding the Software used for the competition – Maya is the chosen software.
- Do we get to keep the Character Rig post the Challenge?The kind folks at Native Puppets are happy to let participants use their Rig for personal use provided its used only for educational purposes and Native Puppets should be credited every time they showcase on the Internet animation done using their rig. Commercial use of the Rig is strictly prohibited. The Rig at no point will be shared with anyone else or uploaded on the Internet.
- Do I need to ‘light / render’ my final entry?
Not needed. You will be purely judged based on your animation skills. Use all the extra time to polish your entry than spending time on ‘lighting’ your entry. The judging criteria will not favor an entry because it is well lit or technically well executed but will focus purely on its character animation and performance values.
- I feel the need to add a props and location. Can I?
Yes, you can, provided you built them on your own during the challenge. There will also be basic props provided if you need to use them.
- When will the themes to the competition be announced? Will I be intimated by email about the same?
Theme to the Challenge and other specific details pertaining to this category will be revealed one night prior to the challenge, which is on Nov 4th.
- Apart from the prizes, will the winning entries receive feedback on the submission?
Yes. If you would like, the judges or an industry expert can give you a personal feedback, either via a Live Video Call or Recorded Session.
- What are the timings of the Akhada Competition?
The Competition will start at 8 a.m. on 4th November and need to submit by 6.30 p.m. on 12th of Nov 2017.
- I submitted my Registration before the deadline. Can I re-submit if I want to?
Yes, you can. Finalists will be shortlisted post the registration deadline on Nov 1stth, 2017.
- Will food, stay, laptops, webcams be provided for the challenge?
We are working on specifics and this will be updated shortly.
- I have a question that I need an answer to. Where can I ask?
Fire us an email to [email protected]
Be sure to mention Akhada Challenge in the Subject Line.
Consider allowing 2-3 days for your queries to be answered. Also, be sure to go through the FAQ thoroughly, chances are your question has already been answered.